Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Diversion into Webcomics

There hasn't been many new good animated films that are very obscure. I'm suspecting that the distributor GKids is going to really put a damper on this blog's future because it means that many good films won't fall into obscurity. I suspect that most new films featured on this blog will be from films released through non-theatrical means because there's so much publicity on the festival circuit and companies like GKids will be formed to snap up films elsewhere. This isn't an international view, but if you're reading this blog you can probably speak English and get a region free DVD or BluRay player to get the US DVD of anything GKids releases. There's plenty of work to be done updating my sidebar and introducing remaining films that I've yet to mention on this blog, but for me there's little new to do.

So, without further interruption, here are some webcomics I've been reading. And maybe I should change the tagline saying that this blog's entirely for animated features. I've discussed enough shorts here that 'primarily' would be a better word.

Tom Siddel's Gunnerkrigg Court, a series about two girls and their classmates at a magic or as they call it, 'etheric sciences' school and the interplay between technology and nature. There's a very interesting fox character named Reynard who the main girl, Antimony, keeps imprisoned inside of a stuffed animal.
www.gunnerkrigg.com

Next, from Zack Weinersmith', there's the smart and very entertaining web comic with a different topic every strip, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal. It has no shortage of funny and thought provoking concepts. The red dot below the comic brings up an additional image with some random bit of additional humor or perspective.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/

After that there's the Computer Generated Webcomic I've been reading recently called The Dreamland Chronicles from Scott Sava. I didn't get into this until very recently since I was spoiled by Gunnerkrigg Court. I can only hope it ends soon because I don't want to wait an insane number of years to see the rest like I'll have to do for Gunnerkrigg. Don't spoil Gunnerkrigg for me since I haven't read it last winter and I want to come back after a year so that there's something there to read.

http://www.thedreamlandchronicles.com/

Lastly there's a site that's appropriate only for adults: Electric Sheep Comix. Most of the comics I've read anyways. Steve and Steve and The Guy I Almost Was are more appropriate for younger readers but I don't think they'd be very interested. As for The Spiders, I don't know because I didn't like the look so I didn't read it. The First Word is the most interesting comic on the site. Don't Look Back has an interesting premise but it unfortunately hasn't been updated in years and will probably never be completed.

http://www.electricsheepcomix.com/

Well, enjoy the comics. And give me any recommendations you've got for webcomics that you think I might like.








No comments: